13: Continuing Education

General Information | Facilities | General Regulations | Tuition, Fees, and Refunds
Certificate Program and Course Descriptions | Faculty

General Regulations

Honor System   The Honor System is one of the University's oldest and most venerated traditions. Based on the fundamental assumption that anyone who enrolls at the University subscribes to a code of ethics forbidding lying, cheating, and stealing, the Honor System allows students the kind of personal freedom possible only in an environment where respect and trust are assumed. For more than 150 years students have administered this system at the University.

Although the Honor System applies to students enrolled in courses and programs through Continuing Education at off-Grounds locations as it does to students on Grounds, some procedures for administration of the system to Continuing Education students differ from those governing regular full-time students. Students may consult with the Continuing Education regional center or program office director in their area for a copy of the Honor Committee bylaws.

Admission   Application for admission to continuing education courses and programs should be made at the Continuing Education regional center or program office where the student plans to study, or at the main office of Continuing Education in Zehmer Hall.

Registration   The registration process should be finished before the first class meeting, including the completion of all forms, provision of requested information, and payment of all tuition and fees. Registration is not final and transcripts are withheld until all tuition and fees are paid. In special circumstances, and with the permission of the director of the Continuing Education regional center or program office, late registration may be allowed upon payment of a late registration fee. University of Virginia Continuing Education reserves the right to modify, withdraw, or make substitutions for any announced courses and to change instructors.

Add/Drop   The dates by which students may add or drop a course are established each academic year by the Continuing Education regional centers and program offices. These dates may differ from center to center. Students should consult the individual centers' catalogs and program brochures to determine the deadline dates for adding or dropping courses. After the last date for dropping a course, students must officially withdraw if they want to end their enrollment in a course.

Grades   At the graduate level, each school determines its own grading system. Graduate courses which are part of a degree program follow the grading system of the school awarding the degree.

In addition to its own graduate-level professional development and certificate program courses, Continuing Education offers graduate-level courses from other schools of the University. Courses offered through Continuing Education for other schools follow the grading system of each school as outlined in each schoolís chapter of the Graduate Record. Courses carrying a Continuing Education mnemonic use the following grading system: A+, A, A-; B+, B, B-; C+, C, C-; D+, D, D-; F. A grade of B- is the lowest satisfactory grade for graduate credit in these courses.

For noncredit courses, grade notations are S/U (satisfactory/unsatisfactory). Students who audit courses receive the designation AU (audit). The symbol W is used when a student officially withdraws from a course before its completion.

Credit/No Credit   Students enrolled in graduate degree programs should consult with the deanís office in their respective schools before selecting the credit/no credit (CR/NC) grading option since restrictions may apply to its use.

Students enrolled in courses for professional development may select the CR/NC option. Courses taken with this grading option may not be transferred into a degree program. The use of CR/NC in certificate programs is governed by the academic policies of the individual programs.

Incomplete   Circumstances beyond a student's control sometimes arise which necessitate his or her requesting an IN (incomplete) from the instructor. IN indicates that the grade for the course is being withheld until the student completes all course requirements. The student must initiate the request for an IN, and the instructor must agree. The student must complete all course work necessary to remove the IN notation, and turn the course work in to the instructor by the end of the following semester, at which time the instructor replaces the IN with a grade. An incomplete that is not removed by the conclusion of the next semester will be converted to a grade of F (failure). Only course instructors can remove incompletes. Students with an incomplete pending are not awarded a degree or certificate.

Students who receive an incomplete (IN) or a failing grade (F) in any course offered through Continuing Education cannot enroll in another course unless the Dean of Continuing Education grants permission.

Withdrawal   Students enrolled in graduate degree program should refer to the withdrawal policy of the school awarding the degree.

Students enrolled in graduate courses for professional development, certificate programs, or as citizen scholars may withdraw under the following conditions:

  1. The students make written application to withdraw to the director of the Continuing Education regional center or program office in which they are enrolled at least three class sessions before the last scheduled meeting of the course. The director may approve applications to withdraw.
  2. Withdrawal from a course without the proper approval of a written application to withdraw results in students receiving a grade of F.
  3. Students receive the notation of W for any courses from which they withdraw. A notation of W cannot be changed to a letter grade or an incomplete.

Leave of Absence   Graduate students enrolled in courses or programs offered by Continuing Education may voluntarily request a leave of absence from the University at the end of any semester for up to three semesters. Students should recognize, however, that taking a voluntary leave of absence does not alter time limitations for the completion of their degree. Students who wish to take leave for longer than three semesters must notify in writing the director of the Continuing Education regional center or program office in which they are enrolled. If students do not notify the director in writing and do not re-enroll for three semesters, they will be required to reapply for admission to the program.

Grade Changes   No grade for a course may be changed after it has been submitted to the university registrar without the approval of the dean of the school offering the course. That dean is authorized to change a grade submitted to the university registrar when the course instructor certifies in writing that, because of an error in calculation or transcription, an incorrect grade had been previously submitted.

Academic Progress   Students should consult the policies for satisfactory progress from the school offering the program in which they are enrolled. Generally, a grade of B- is considered the lowest satisfactory grade for graduate credit leading to a degree. Students with a grade-point average below 3.0 are not considered to be making satisfactory progress.

Attendance   Instructors may establish attendance and participation requirements for each of their courses. Such course requirements as examinations, oral presentations, laboratory experiments, participation in class discussion, and the like are in no sense waived because of students' absence from class. Instructors may establish penalties when excessive absences seriously hinder achievement in any course.

Course Load   Each school at the University has established a minimum and maximum number of credits for which students are normally expected to register. Registration for fewer credits than the minimum or more credits for the maximum requires special permission of the appropriate dean's office. Students who register for fewer than their schoolís minimum number of credits have a notation placed on their academic records indicating that they were enrolled for a reduced course load during that semester.

Special permission is required for students to enroll through Continuing Education for more than 12 credits per semester.

Repeated Courses   Students may repeat courses for credit only after receiving the permission of their dean's office. The grade initially earned in the course appears on the official academic record and counts in the calculation of the grade point average. Regulations applying to repeated courses may vary by school and are detailed in each schoolís chapter of this Record.

Academic Grievances   Students who have a grievance with a faculty member, Continuing Education regional center or program office director, or dean are invited to discuss their grievance in the following manner:

  1. Concerns related to a faculty member which cannot be resolved between the two parties should be discussed with the Continuing Education regional center or program office director.
  2. Should the concern be related to the Continuing Education regional center or program office director, the grievance should be filed with the Dean of Continuing Education or the dean's representative.
  3. Should the concern be related to the Dean of Continuing Education, the grievance should be filed with the Vice President and Provost.
  4. Should the concern be related to the Vice President and Provost, appropriate documentation should be presented in writing to the President of the University.

Teacher Relicensure   Teachers and school administrators who wish to take courses and/or professional development offerings for relicensure purposes may register without submitting academic transcripts. Individuals seeking relicensure are responsible for determining the acceptability of such courses or professional development programs by consulting their school/division superintendent or the Virginia Department of Education.

Suspended Students   Individuals who have been suspended from the University of Virginia or from any other college or university are not eligible to enroll through Continuing Education as long as the suspension remains in force.

Application of Courses to Degree Programs   With the approval of the student's school of enrollment, a course taken through Continuing Education may be counted toward degree requirements. For undergraduates, these courses are included in the computation of grade point averages. Approval is required in advance, otherwise such courses will not apply toward a degree.

Continuing Education Unit   Many noncredit activities are designated as Continuing Education Unit (CEU) programs. One CEU is defined as 10 contact hours of participation in an organized educational experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction.

The university registrar permanently records the successful participation in programs which have been authorized to award CEUs. Individuals may request a copy of their record from the Office of the University Registrar, University of Virginia, P. O. Box 9009, Charlottesville, VA 22906-9009.

Transfer of Credit   Students wishing to transfer credit from Continuing Education to another educational institution should, prior to registering with Continuing Education, consult that institution as to the acceptability of the courses and their credit.

Auditors   Students who wish to enroll in credit courses without receiving degree credit may do so with the permission of the Continuing Education regional center or program office director by registering as auditors and paying the same tuition and fees as credit students. Credit or audit status must be indicated at the time of registration. Admission requirements are the same for auditors as for credit students.

Transcripts   The university registrar records the credit for University courses taught at Continuing Education regional centers. Transcripts are available from the Office of the University Registrar in Carruthers Hall for a fee of $3.00 each.

Continue to: Tuition, Fees, and Refunds
Return to: Chapter 13 Index