6: College of Arts and Sciences

General Information | Academic Information | Departments and Programs | Faculty

Awards and Honors | Simultaneous Counting of Courses and Cross-listed Courses
Competency Requirements | Area Requirements | Major Subject | Minor Subject
Electives | Bachelor of Science | Bachelor of Arts with Honors | Intra University Courses
Courses Taken at Other Institutions | Study Abroad | Transfer Credit | Academic Advising
Incomplete | Credit/No Credit Grades | Final Examinations | Grade Changes | Absence Regulations
Disability Accommodation | Echols Scholars Program | Repeated Courses | Changes in Schedule
Degree Applications | Graduate Opportunities and Fellowships | Independent Study
Special Students | Continuing Education | Course Load | Academic Standing
Leaves of Absence and Withdrawals | Readmission | Appeals from Students in the College

Courses Taken at Other Institutions

Students who wish to take academic courses at another institution after matriculation at the University must have the prior written permission of the dean and the undergraduate advisor or chair of the department which offers corresponding work at the University. Permission is not granted unless students have at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (2.5 for courses taken abroad). After matriculation at the University, students may not fulfill College area requirements with transfer coursework, the only exception being a foreign language course taught in the target country. Prior departmental approval in the form of a petition to the dean's office is required.

Subject to the above, work completed elsewhere with a grade of C or better is transferred in credits only. The courses thus completed reduce the number of credits and grade points that must be earned at the University for a degree. For example, students earning 10 credits at another institution are required to earn only 110 credits at the University (instead of 120) and 220 grade points. Please note that the credits transfer to the University, but the letter grades do not appear on the University's official records. Students will receive no more than the number of credits earned at the host institution.

Continue to: Study Abroad
Return to: Chapter 6 Index