9: Curry School of Education

General Information | Teacher Education Degree Programs | Course Descriptions | Faculty

Accreditation | Facilities and Services | Student Organizations
Academic Honors and Honorary Societies | Academic Requirements and Options

Academic Requirements and Options

All students are subject to the academic policies specified in the Record chapter entitled "University Regulations." In addition, students must follow the policies of the Curry School of Education. Students in the five-year Teacher Education Program should consult the regulations in the College of Arts and Sciences chapter, as well as those of the Curry School of Education.

Application to the Curry School Students wishing to apply for programs in the Curry School of Education must submit a full application by March 1 of their first or second year for teacher education, or of their second year for communication disorders or sports medicine. Students are not eligible to enter a Curry program if they have completed more than two years of college work. Students seeking to enroll in teacher education must be in the College (i.e., students in the Schools of Architecture, Engineering or Nursing must transfer to the College first). Students applying to B.S.Ed. programs in communication disorders or physical education apply to transfer to the Curry School.

To apply, students must complete an application and a statement of professional goals, and submit two letters of recommendation and all transcripts. Applications are evaluated in terms of academic course work (preference given to 3.0 GPA), strong SAT scores (preference given to 1000 or above), and experience related to professional goals. Applications from under-represented groups or those with varied backgrounds are strongly encouraged. Information about specific application procedures is available in Room 104, Ruffner Hall.

Residence Requirement   A recipient of a degree in education from the Curry School must have completed four semesters of full-time (12 credits) study at the University of Virginia while enrolled in the Curry School of Education. Exceptions for emergency situations may only be granted with the advisor's and dean's permission. In addition, all students must be full-time (12 hours minimum) during all semesters, including the final one.

Course Load   Special permission of the advisor and dean's office is required to take fewer than 12 credits or more than 18 credits during a given semester.

Final Examinations   are given during a designated period of time at the end of each semester. Examinations may only be given at the time listed in the Course Offering Directory unless authorized by the dean. Students are not authorized to take final examinations before the regularly scheduled time. However, under serious conditions, students with their instructor's and advisor's permission may be allowed to postpone the examination to a time convenient to the instructor. Students who have three exams in one day or four in a two-day period may petition to have one examination moved.

Attendance   Students are expected to attend classes throughout the session, with the exception of University holidays, unless permission to be absent temporarily or to withdraw has been first granted by the instructor. Routine excuses for illness are not furnished by the Department of Student Health either to the student or to the instructor. If final examinations are missed for serious medical reasons, the Department of Student Health notifies the dean. On request of the dean, the Department of Student Health may evaluate the effect of any illness upon a student's attendance and academic performance. Failure to attend classes or other prescribed activities in a course may result in enforced withdrawal from the course or other penalties as determined by the instructor.

Attendance Upon Examinations   Written examinations are an essential part of the work of most courses. A final examination or culminating experience is expected in all classes. The time period assigned for final examinations is considered part of the regualr academic semester, and classes must meet during their scheduled examination period. Absence from examinations is not excused except for illness, attested by a physicians certificate, or for other causes which the instructor, advisor and dean by special action may approve. An unexcused absence is counted as a failure, and at the discretion of the instructor may result in failing the course.

Course Grades   All specifically required courses must be taken for regular, graded credit (no S/U or CR/NC), including grades of A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-. C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F. Internships, practicums, and student teaching are generally graded S/U.

Incomplete Grades for Undergraduates   An IN is recorded when reasons known to the professor are judged adequate to justify an extension of time to complete course requirements. An IN may not be used to allow a student to attempt to raise a grade at the end of the term. The timeline to complete an incomplete may be negotiated with an instructor, but may not extend beyond one year of the semester in which the course was originally taken. Students are expected to enter into a written contract with the instructor specifying the remaining requirements and agreed-upon timeline. It is the student's responsibility to file the incomplete agreement in the Curry Office of Admissions. After one year, if the student has not met the terms of the incomplete agreement, the faculty member may submit a grade of F, U, WF, or W; if no action is taken by the faculty member, the incomplete is administratively changed to a W. B.A.-M.T. students should also consult the policies of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Grade Changes   No grade may be changed after it has been submitted to the university registrar without the approval of the dean. The dean is not authorized by the faculty to change a grade submitted to the university registrar except when an instructor certifies that, because of errors in calculation or transcription, an incorrect grade has been submitted.

The Curry School limits the time in which a grade change may be approved to one calendar year.

Credit/No Credit Courses   Students have the option of receiving the grades CR (credit) or NC (no credit) in place of the regular grades A through F for a given course prior to admission to a Curry program. This option is taken at the time the students register for the course. Instructors have the right to refuse to permit students to take courses on a CR/NC basis. If this occurs, students may either change back to the regular grading option or they may drop the courses entirely. Courses taken for CR/NC may not be used for any major or basic area requirements.

No more than two courses may be taken on a CR/NC basis in any semester or in Summer Session. A maximum of 24 credits of CR/NC courses can be used toward the degree. Students may not use a CR/NC course to repeat a course in which a grade has already been given. If such a case should occur, the credits in the CR/NC course would not count toward graduation. The last day to change a CR/NC option is the same as the last day to drop a course. The CR/NC option may not be used in the following instances: to meet the specific requirements under general education; to meet requirements for specialization in a teaching field; or to meet requirements for professional education with the exception in some teaching areas of field experiences and accompanying seminars which are offered only on a CR/NC basis.

Repeating Courses   A student who has received a grade of D in a required undergraduate course may be required to repeat the course as his or her academic advisor or program faculty may direct. Both grades for the repeated course remain on the transcript and are used in the computation of the grade point average. The course credit will be for only one offering.

Adding a Course or Changing the Grading Option   All additions to course schedules or changes in the grading option for a course must be completed by the last day to add a course. These changes are made via ISIS. Changes after the add deadline may only be considered under emergency circumstances, and require a petition signed by the instructor, advisor, and dean. Any course required by name must be taken for a grade (not pass/fail). B.A./M.T. students should consult the policies of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Dropping a Course   With the approval of the student's advisor, a student may drop and void registration in a course until the official drop date. Permission to take fewer than 12 credits must be petitioned to and approved by the advisor and the dean, and can only be granted for unusual or emergency circumstances.

Withdrawal from a Course   B.S.Ed. students may withdraw from a course at any point prior to 5:00 P.M. on the last day of classes (in the term of enrollment) if permission has been secured from the student's advisor and instructor, and a petition has been filed with the dean. This action results in the course remaining on the transcript, and the instructor being asked to record a grade of W, WP, or WF on the final grade sheet and on the petition filed by the student. A W may be assigned only if there is not basis on which to determine a WF or WP. None of these notations effect the grade point average, nor does the course count toward credits earned.

College students should consult the policies of the College and note the earlier date.

Enforced Withdrawal   See the chapter entitled "University Regulations."

Probation and Suspension   An undergraduate student must maintain good standing each semester by completing at least 12 credits of graded work (or S/C work if engaged in practicums or student teaching), with at least a 1.8 semester average and no more than one grade below C- (or U/NC). A student will be placed on academic probation after any semester in which good standing is not attained.

Suspension involves enforced withdrawal from the Curry School of Education. A student placed on probation in any semester may be suspended if he or she does not regain good standing at the end of the next semester. A student who has been suspended may apply to the Office of Admissions and Student Affairs of the Curry School of Education for readmission after one regular semester or one summer session has elapsed since the date of suspension. If readmitted, the student will be on probation and will be suspended again after one semester unless the cumulative grade point average for all courses completed is above 2.0.

Students in the College must comply with all College rules, plus Curry School policies for teacher education.

Readmission to the Curry School of Education is not automatic. After an absence of twelve months or longer, a former student must apply for readmission by submitting an application to the academic dean's office at least sixty days before the semester begins. Failure to comply with these regulations subjects the student to suspension from the University by the vice president for student affairs.

Grievance Procedure   Due process is guaranteed all students. See "Grievance Procedures" in the University Regulations chapter in the front of this Record, or consult the associate dean's office in 104 Ruffner.

Licensure for Teaching   The Curry School of Education affirms the distinctiveness of degree requirements and licensure requirements in its programs. While many programs contain both kinds of requirements, and major portions of the two may be synonymous, one may meet one set of requirements and not the other, i.e., receive a degree, without qualifying for recommendation for licensure. Information concerning licensure requirements is provided to students through the Office of Admissions and Student Affairs of the Curry School of Education. In order for a student to be recommended by the Curry School of Education for professional licensure, he or she must complete a teacher education program sequence approved by the faculty of the Curry School of Education.

Teacher Warranty   The Curry School of Education has great confidence in its graduates. Because of this sense of pride, the faculty of the School promise to support its graduates throughout their first year of teaching. That is, if a graduate encounters professional problems during the first year of employment in a school within the Commonwealth of Virginia, the Curry School will join with the employing school system to help the teacher acquire additional skills necessary to meet the demands of the situation. (For more specific details, contact the dean's office.)

Continue to: Teacher Education Degree Programs
Return to: Chapter 9 Index