Grant Submission Process
IRB Approval of the grant proposal is only required if the grant is from a federal agency that DOES NOT follow the Common Rule ( 45CFR46) or the grant is funded by the FDA.
The Agencies that DO follow the Common Rule are listed below:
- Agency for International Development
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Defense
- Department of Education
- Department of Energy
- Department of Health and Human Services(DHHS) (includes the NIH)
- Department of Homeland Security
- Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Department of Labor
- Department of Transportation
- Department of Veterans Affairs
- Environmental Protection Agency
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- National Science Foundation
- Social Security Administration
FOR THOSE GRANTS REQUIRING IRB APPROVAL
NOTE: this is a rare occurrence (e.g. grant from Department of Justice)
- If your grant/proposal includes human subject research, click here for the content which is to be included in the Human Subjects section of the grant application.
- When the grant is written, submit the grant application to your Grants Office.
- IRB-HSR certification is not needed prior to this submission.
- Simply write "Pending" next to IRB-HSR Approval Date.
- When you are notified that your application is in the "fundable range" you should submit the following to the IRB-HSR via email to email@example.com:
- One electronic version of an IRB-HSR Routing Form
- One PDF of the full grant/proposal application (excluding appendices)
- One electronic copy of the Grant Information Form. if the grant is being submitted by UVa
- The IRB will provide administrative certification of the grant submission. Submission to the IRB may be done at any time and does not need to meet full board submission deadlines.
- A Human Subject Protection Training Certificate will be provided by OSP or the School of Medicine Office of Grants and Contracts